It’s that time of year again, when colds and influenza are most common!
Cost of Colds & Flu…
Did you know that the annual direct cost of influenza in the U.S. is estimated at $4.6 billion in
hospital visits, doctor’s visits and medication? Flu also causes employees to miss
approximately 17 million workdays with an estimated $7 billion per year in sick days & lost
In 2003 the cost of the common cold wasn’t cheap either. It was estimated at $40 billion a year
to the cost of the U.S economy. Just think how much it likely costs the U.S. economy now!
Prevention is Key…
Are you wondering how to prevent a cold or flu?
Here are some tips to help:
- Wash your hands frequently and throughly. Scrub your hands and fingers throughly with
soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Also try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth until
you wash your hands.
- If at all possible, stay away from people that have a cold or the flu
- Keep your gut healthy. Your gut is your gateway to health. Most of your immune system is in your gut. Eating a healthy, non processed, organic diet will help. Having a healthy microbiome is also a very important part of having a healthy gut.
- Stay Hydrated with water. Make sure you are drinking clean water! Are you drinking filtered water? As a general rule, it is recommended that adults drink half their body weight (pounds) in ounces. For an example, if you weigh 150 lbs, you should be drinking ~75\ounces in water daily. Now if you are more active or exercise, you may need more water daily!
- Rest. It is so important to get enough sleep to let your body rest and reset.
- De-stress. Take some time for self care. Find ways that help you destress. What is your favorite hobby? Do you enjoy exercising, walking, hiking, praying or meditating?
- Checking your Vitamin D level. Did you know that having a normal vitamin D level is important for fighting off cold & flu viruses? Most individuals do not have optimal vitamin D levels, especially in the colder months. I recommend having your doctor check your vitamin D level.
If you are interested in improving your gut health and/or overall health at New Beginnings Functional Medicine, Dr. Shannon can partner with you to help improve your overall health. To learn more about how Functional Medicine can partner with you for optimal health—take your FREE health assessment online at www.NewBeginningsFMC.com and then schedule your FREE 15 minute consult with Dr. Shannon.